Special Olympics NY 2021 State Fall Games Coming to Glens Falls Area
Special Olympics NY 2021 State Fall Games are coming in two weeks! Through Special Olympics New York athletes with intellectual disabilities have the opportunity to challenge themselves in fair and even competition. Win or lose, they develop their own character, make friends and find unknown wells of determination within themselves.
Volunteers are needed!
Friday, October 22nd is Opening Ceremonies at Glens Falls City Park. Help stage the parade of athletes, see the lighting of the cauldron and celebrate the opening of the games.
Saturday, October 23rd is competition day! Volunteers are needed at every sport. There are seven sports to choose from. Experience in that sport is not required, volunteers will be trained on-site.
- Bocce: Adirondack Sports Complex. 39 volunteers needed for court management, scoring, awards, venue support.
- Cycling: SUNY Adirondack. 28 volunteers are needed as marshals and venue support.
- Golf: Brookhaven Golf Course. 36 volunteers needed for caddies, spotters, skills stations and venue support.
- Cross Country Running: Cole’s Woods. 37 volunteers needed for marshals and venue support.
- Soccer: Morse Athletic Complex. 12 volunteers needed as scorekeepers and timers.
- Softball: Morse Athletic Complex and Adirondack Sports Complex. 34 volunteers needed at score tables and venue support.
- Equestrian: Skidmore College-Van Lennep Riding Center. 30 volunteers needed experienced riders for walkers and leaders, non-experienced volunteers for venue support.
- Venue support includes safety and parking, set up, lunch, water, awards and any specific venue needs.
- Safety Squad volunteers are needed at each venue to ensure Special Olympics NY and venue COVID-19 protocols are being followed. The safety squad will disinfect general areas and make sure proper social distancing is upheld.
Special Olympics Return to Activity Protocols require that at least 80% of event participants be vaccinated for the COVID-19 virus. Proof of vaccination will be required for all volunteers who attend the Games. Sign up as an individual or group! https://www.specialolympics-ny.org/competition/volunteeratfallgames/ All volunteers are encouraged to pre-register for games to receive assignment details in advance. On-site registration will also be available.
In addition to volunteers, they are looking for individuals who would like to make a donation to the Fall Games. Please use this link: Sponsor an Athlete for Fall Games – Special Olympics New York (convio.net). For corporate engagement opportunities please reach out to Renee Snyder email@example.com.