EDC Warren County has helped numerous companies to begin and grow here, or move here to further their success. We provided critical infrastructure funding, coordinated incentive programs and worked to obtain other assistance to build new momentum for the region. Recent Annual Reports give more detail on a number of initiatives and activities EDC has been involved in:
EDC has led the way on a number of economic development success stories over the past several years that make us proud to serve Warren County, New York:
- Industry Support: Growth of a medical device cluster, including AngioDynamics, NAMIC/Medline Industries, BD Becton Dickinson and five other companies and direct service providers. A recent study released by the Center for Economic Growth revealed the Glens Falls MSA has one of the highest Location Quotients (concentrations) of medical equipment manufacturing employment in the U.S.
- Revitalization: Downtown Revitalization in the City of Glens Falls has been a major focus of EDC. In 2016 EDC was able to secure a $10 million Downtown Revitalization Initiative (DRI) award which will leverage much more over in improvement projects for South Street and other areas over the next several years. Over the past decade, EDC using advocacy, marketing and prior planning efforts resulted in the influx of over $200 million in public and private investment in downtown Glens Falls.
- Workforce: The establishment of a regional training center of U.A. Local 773 Plumbers & Steamfitters provides local pipeline of technical talent via a state of the art training facility that features welding stations and an actual operating clean room to service multiple industries including semiconductor, microelectronics, medical device, pharmaceutical production and R & D. EDC is an active participant on the Saratoga Warren Washington Counties Workforce Development Board (SWW WDB) and has been on the board as a member for over 10 years. The WDB is the oversight and advisory body that coordinates regional workforce development system funding and outcomes in conjunction with NYS Department of Labor utilizing WIOA program federal funding.
- Outdoor Recreation: Expansion of Gore Mountain, a premier ski, snowboard, and all-season destination. EDC led the way with initial feasibility studies by the NYS Comptrollers Office that established the opportunity to increase skier visitations. That opened the way to establish the “Interconnect” utilizing Burnt Ridge as a way to connect Gore Mountain to the Village of North Creek. EDC also was the major sponsor of the effort to rehabilitate and open the former Ski Bowl.
- Environment: EDC has been a leading voice in the fight to maintain, enhance and protect water quality in Lake George and other waterways and lakes in the county. EDC is an active participant in the coalition of business, government and environmental groups that have come together in an innovative initiative to combat issues that adversely impact economic vitality as well as environmental sustainability. In 2019, EDC testified along side The Fund For Lake George at a NYS Senate hearing on environmental protection to rally support in favor of NYS funding assistance to replace an aging and deteriorating municipal sewer treatment plant in the Village of Lake George. EDC strongly believes tourism, economic development and environmental protection can and should coexist, thrive and support each other.