Outdoor Recreation in Warren County, New York
Beginning in Warren County and extending to the north, the 6 million-acre Adirondack Park, with 3,000 ponds and lakes and 2,000 miles of hiking trails, provides four-season recreation and draws visitors from around the world.
Within Warren County itself, stretching from scenic waters of Lake George in the east to the rugged ski and snowboard terrain of Gore Mountain in the west, and in countless wilderness areas in between, Warren County is the place where the region’s leaders, workers, and innovators relax and re-charge with recreation and relaxation. Recently, Redbook listed Lake George as one of the Most Picturesque Lakes in the United States.
Most of Warren County lies within the Adirondack State Park, the largest publicly protected area in the contiguous United States, greater in size than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined.
- 6 million acres of public and private land
- 2,000 miles of New York hiking trails
- 3,000 lakes (including Lake George)
- 30,000 miles of rivers and streams, and a wide variety of habitats
- 46 peaks over 4,000 feet among more than 100 peaks in the park
Warren County Recreation
In addition to the Adirondack Park’s natural features, Warren County’s recreation options include:
- The Lake George area, offering recreation in all four seasons of the year
- Access to world-class regional golf courses, including The Sagamore and Saratoga National Golf Course
- Six Flags Great Escape is one of the nation’s premier amusement parks, offering rides for thrill-seekers and year-round fun at its indoor water park in Queensbury
- Two renowned alpine ski centers: West Mountain (Queensbury) and Gore Mountain (North Creek), which provides the most skiable acreage in New York State, 2537’ vertical drop on 94 trails including 19 glades. Both ski centers have warm weather activities such as mountain biking, adventure activities
- A network of snowmobile trails spanning 200 miles, linking up with a network of trails across the Northeast; Snowmobile New York offers an interactive map online depicting all snowmobile trails within New York as well as other amenities along those trails
- Municipal trails for cross-country skiing, cycling, and mountain biking and private Nordic ski centers
- More than 30 camping facilities
- Dude ranches and horseback riding